1. Chennai District, one of the Metropolitans in India and the Capital of Tamilnadu State is the fourth largest city in the Indian sub-continent and 30th largest city in the world. It extends an area of 174 sq.k.m. which accounts for only 0.13 percent of the State’s area of 1,30,058 sq.k.m. The entire district is classified as urban. The district has a coastal line of 22 k.m. Chennai district has a hot climate which can be termed as tropical maritime climate.
    (Ref. Chapter II page 8 & 10)

  2. Demographically the rate of growth of population is 9.76 percent as against the State’s average of 11.19 percent during the period 1991-2001. As per the 2001 census, it ranked 2nd among the districts of Tamilnadu in population, next to Coimbatore District and it is the densest district with 24,231 persons per sq.k.m. as against the State’s population density of 478 persons per sq. k.m. There is 9.76 percent growth rate in the density of population during the period from 1991-2001 in Chennai district.
    (Ref. Chapter III page 12 )

  3. As per 2001 census Chennai ranks 4th in literacy with 80.14 percent , 1st, 2nd and 3rd being Kanyakumari, Thuthukudi and Nilgiris with 88.11 percent, 81.96 percent and 81.44 percent respectively. However Chennai district has registered higher literacy rate than the State average of 73.4 percent.
    ( Ref.Chap III page 15)

  4. Work force constitutes 30.5 percent of the total population and the remaining 69.5 percent are non-workers
    ( Ref. Chapter III Page – 16)

  5. There is scope for setting up industries based on milk, Poultry and eggs, since these items produced in the neighbouring districts, where there is only limited marketing facilities, is mainly being marketed in the markets of the Chennai district.
    ( Ref. Chapter III Page 17)

  6. The district has a coastal line of 22 k.m. with 2 coastal blocks and 40 coastal fishing centres. Since a good amount of marine fish is caught in this area, there is good potential for setting up industries based on fish.
    (Ref. Chapter III page 18)

  7. The Chennai Metropolis enjoys the best infrastructure facilities that any entrepreneur could dream of. The district is facilitated with a major Sea-port with single window clearance , Domestic and International Airport, National and State high ways, broad gauge and meter gauge Railways, excellent communication facilities, power, banking facilities, Industrial Estates, Industrial Complexes and Industrial Parks etc.
    (Ref. Chap. IV page 19)

  8. Scope for establishing new Industrial Estates in Chennai district is very limited due to lack of space. But there is scope for constructing industrial complexes in the existing Industrial Estates to accommodate a particular group of industries.
    (Chap. IV page 21)

  9. An Information Technology park is set up, across 8 acres of land, with a view to give a giant leap forward to develop and integrate the country into the world wide information technology net work at Taramani in Chennai district.
    (Chapter IV page. 21)

  10. There was a tremendous growth in SSI units in the districts during the period of last 10 years. The industrial units registered with the Industries department was only 16,326 as on 313-1991 which was grown to 40,300 as on 31-3-2001. But the SSI sector lacks product diversification and technological upgradation . Some of the existing units are very old and require large scale modernisation.
    (Chapter V page 35)

  11. One of the main problems of the units in this district is delayed payment by the parent units. The SSI and tiny units also feel that while the financial institutions are ready to extend credit facilities, especially working capital to big borrowers who can provide collateral security, they are reluctant to consider local applications of small and tiny units.
    (Chapter V page 41)

  12. During the survey, it was observed that small scale sector suffers from lack of economies of the scale, unlike the large scale units. Moreover, in the context of liberalisation and growing domestic and international competition this sector needs support through promotional policies of credit and technology.
    (Chapter V Page 41)

  13. Entrepreneurial competence is necessary to succeed in any venture. The district is endowed with talented entrepreneurs. Technically qualified persons are also available in the district along with excellent infrastructure facilities. Keeping in view the challenging entrepreneurial opportunities at present and in future in national and international level it is of paramount importance to promote management skills of the budding entrepreneurs through counselling and training, to succeed in their endeavours.
    (Chapter VI page 43.)