G O Ms. No. 213 Dt. 30-3-1989
The Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board enforces the following regulatory enactments of environment and pollution control :
- Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 as amended in 1988.
- Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1981 as amended in 1987.
- Water Cess Act, 1977 and
- Environment (Protection) Act, 1986
Guidelines for siting new industries.
No new industry to be cited within 1 Km. From water sources as Government has imposed a total ban on setting up of highly polluting industries within 1 Km. of water soruces mentioned in the above GO.
Area to be avoided in citing industries -
Ecological and/or otherwise sensitive areas include:
- Ecologically and/or otherwise sensitive areas : atleast 25 Kms depending on the GO climatic conditions
- Coastal areas atleast 500 Mt. From high tide limits
- Flood Plain of the River Line Systems; atleast 500 Mt. From flood plain or modified flood plain effected by dam in the sub-stream or by flood control system.
- Transport/communication system atleast 500 Mt. From highway and railway.
Procedure for obtaining consent of the board
- Religious and historic places.
- Archaelogical monuments
- Coastal species
- Estuaries rich in Mangroves, Breeding grounds of specific species.
- Biosphere Reserves
- National Parks and Sanctuaries
- Seismic zone
- Tribal settlements
- Defence installation,especially those of security importance and sensitive to pollution
All industries are classified as Red, Orange and Green, by the GOI, Ministry of Environment & Forests on the basis of their potential for causing pollution:
- Red - High Polluting
- Orange - Less Polluting
- Green Non-Polluting
All industries have to apply for consent.
Renewal of consent
- All consensus are valid till 31st March of the year.
- Red category industries have to get the consent renewed annually
- Orange category industries have to get the consent renewed annually till the ETP and APC measures are commissioned. Thereafter renewal will be every two years.
- Green category industries have to get the consent renewed once in two years.
- Application for renewal has to be made 30 days prior to the date of expiry