The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (M/o MSME) is the administrative Ministry in the Government of India for all matters relating to
Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises. It designs and implements policies and programmes through its field organisations and attached offices for promotion and growth of
The Office of the Development Commissioner (MSME) is an attached office of the Ministry of
MSME, and is the apex body to advise, coordinate and formulate policies and programmes for the development and promotion of the
MSME Sector. The office also maintains liaison with Central Ministries and other Central/State Government agencies/organisations financial institutions.
The Development Commissioner
(MSME) have a network of 30 MSME-Development Institute(MSME-DI),
28 Br. MSME-Development Institute(Br. MSME-DI),
4 MSME-Testing Centres (MSME-TCs), 7 MSME-Testing
Stations (MSME-TSs), 21 Autonomous bodies which
include 10 Tool Rooms (TRs) and Tool Design Institutes
(TDI), 4 MSME-Technology Development Center(MSME-TDC),
2 MSME-Technology Development Center-Footwear(MSME-TDC),
1 Electronics Service & Training Centre (ESTC),
1 Institute for Design of Electrical Measuring
Instruments (IDEMI) 2 National Level Training
Institutes, and 1 Departmental Training Institute
and one Production Center.
MSME-Testing Center (MSME-TC) (Formerly Regional Testing Centers(RTCs))
- Provide Testing facilities for quality upgradation
- Training/constancy in testing, quality control, quality management
- Process quality control systems, etc.
Product specific testing facilities are provided
by MSME-Testing Stations(MSME-TSs)
Tool Rooms/Tool Design Institutes (TRs/TDI)
- To assist MSMEs in technical up gradation, provide good quality tooling by designing and
producing tools, moulds, jigs & fixtures, components, etc.
- Provide Training and consultancy for tool and die markers.
MSME-Technology Development Center(MSME-TDC)
(Formerly Product-cum-Process Development Centers
These are product specific Centers to:
- look into their specific problems and render technical service
- Develop and upgrade technologies
- Manpower development and training
MSME-Technology Development Center-Footwear(MSME-TDC)
(Formerly Central Footwear Training Institutes
- Develop footwear designing to promote exports
- Training for manpower in Footwear Industry.
Training Institutes are:
- National Institute of Micro, Small and Medium Industry Extension Training (NIMSMIET), Hyderabad,
- National Institute for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development (NIESBUD), New Delhi, which conducts national and international level training programmes in different fields and disciplines.
- Indian Institue of Entrepreneuship (IIE), Guwahati. The main objective of the institute is to act as a catalyst for entrepreneurship development with its focus on the North East.
Other Associated Agencies
- National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) for technology and marketing support
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) an apex bank set up to provide direct/indirect financial assistance under different schemes to meet credit needs of the small-scale sector and to coordinate the functions of other institutions in similar activities.
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) assists the development and promotion and disbursal of rural and traditional industries in rural and town areas.
State Level Institutional Support
- State Government executes different promotional and developmental projects/schemes and provide a number of supporting incentives for development and promotion of
MSME sector in their respective States.
- These are executed through State Directorate of Industries, who have District Industries
Centers (DICs) under them to implement Central/State Level schemes.
- The State Industrial Development & Financial Institutions and State Financial Corporations also look after the needs of the